DENVER (KDVR) — President Joe Biden joined viral social media platform TikTok for his reelection campaign, and some fellow politicians are upset at the development.
Biden’s 2024 campaign joined the platform on Sunday, even after the president expressed concerns about national security for individuals using the app. Aides have said the president will not personally run the account, nor will others in his administration.
So far the account — @BidenHQ — has posted three videos, including one where the president shows former President Donald Trump discussing how he “killed” Roe v. Wade, and another where he pokes fun at himself for being old. As of Monday afternoon, the account had about 64,200 followers.
But the matter is still bringing some ire from longtime politicians, such as U.S. Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who represents Colorado’s 4th Congressional District that spans the Eastern Plains.
TikTok is banned from government-issued mobile devices, a measure passed in February 2023 and introduced by Buck and U.S. Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri.
At the time, Buck called TikTok a “clear threat to our privacy and national security,” citing its connection to China and the Chinese Communist Party. Trump has also been vocal against the application, even issuing an executive order in 2020 to deal with the “national emergency” he said was posed by TikTok.
On Monday, Buck said he was proud to have worked on banning the application from government-issued devices.
“It is a Chinese spy app that threatens national security and should be completely banned,” Buck wrote on X. “Disappointing that President Biden has joined this CCP owned and operated platform.”
The FBI and Federal Communications Commission have said that TikTok’s owner, ByteDance, could share user data — such as browsing history, location and biometric identifiers — with the Chinese government.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.